Friday, April 1, 2011

A New Day, a New Challenge

DSCN4120

What with all of the bustle of my ever-collapsing closet (the one I installed with my own two hands is still standing!), followed quickly by the 30 for 30 challenge, I never let you in on my New Year's Resolution/Challenge. I'm not generally one for New Year's Resolutions, but as the end of 2010 was approaching, I began thinking about all of the improvements I had made in my life during that year and all of the improvements I still wanted to make. I am in an eternal battle with Stuff it seems. For as long as I can remember, really, I've hoarded and kept all sorts of stuff - convinced that I would someday put it to good use. In the past couple of years, I have begun to really battle that notion and to clear out the extraneous stuff en masse. But it hasn't nearly been enough. Also, a couple of years back now, I ended up unemployed for an entire Summer (that is a story for another day). That Summer left me in a significant amount of debt. I since have found a good job and then an even better job, and am financially stable, but still trying to pay off the last of that looming debt. Debt is a Beast to get out from under, avoid it at all costs. Finally, I have been saying that I would prefer to own quality pieces in my wardrobe over quantity. And I've meant it every time I've said it. I just haven't acted as if I've meant it. Put me in front of a Target clearance rack and I will find every adorable, cheap thing on it, and go home with it all. Only to give it away a couple of months to a year later in one of my regularly scheduled clothing exchanges, sometimes still with the tags. Sure it was cute. Sure it was cheap. It was still a waste of my money.

Taking all of these things into consideration, I gave myself one Challenge to stick to for the year. I am allowed to buy One Quality Piece (clothing, shoes, bags) for my wardrobe per month. One item that I love so much, it will satisfy me for the entire month. It is a year of carefully considered consumption. And thus far, I couldn't be happier about it.

DSCN4132

DSCN4145

Some might say that one item per month is still a lot. Those people would probably be right. Most sane people probably do not buy ridiculous amounts of clothing the way that I do. And I feel that I should be more than satisfied with 12 quality pieces by the end of the year. All the while continuing to trim the contents of my current closet. I want to have a very well edited selection of clothing from which to choose by this time next year.

These leopard heels were my January piece, and I intend to wear them often and for a long time to come. In February, I bought the Erin Fetherston blouse (which is on deep discount at the Outnet right now!). March's item you will see very soon.

DSCN4137

DSCN4146

DSCN4164

DSCN4151

DSCN4123

Coat: Gap
Turtleneck: Mossimo (Target)
Skirt: Vintage
Heels: L.A.M.B. (Rue La La)
Scarf: Target
Bracelet: Vintage

1 comment:

StyleID said...

ok, so I am a bit 'Dorky' today and I left this comment on the wrong post ... here I go again:

"OMG. I am stunned by the colors and the animal print. Honestly: YOU LOOK GREAT in this look."

http://styleidnet.blogspot.com/
http://www.filomenascloset.com/